"John Lewis" Walla Walla

United States

Most of the fruit—90%— is from Les Collines Vineyard Block 46, with the remaining 10% from the block directly below, Block 36.  The wine was fermented whole cluster in concrete tank for about 21 days with native yeasts. About 60% of the wine was aged in concrete; the remainder was aged in  ten 500 liter puncheons and two 225L barrels. Except for one new puncheon, all of the oak was over three years old. The wine, never racked, was aged for 15 months then bottled unfined and unfiltered.

95 points
"Devastatingly gorgeous and refined, the 2018 Syrah John Lewis was made with 100% whole clusters. The nose gives up a stunning array of aromas with precision and finesse, brilliantly displaying dusty black raspberry, juicy currant and cassis with a kiss of oak to frame the picturesque fruit. Medium-bodied and with 13% alcohol, the palate offers immense pleasure with a regal mouthfeel, mineral tension, just-ripe red fruit tones and a soft tannic edge. The succulent acidity keeps the wine fresh in the mouth with a food-friendly expression across the elongated and evolving finish. The wine rested for 17 months in 7% new French oak puncheons. This bottling is clearly one of the great Syrahs coming from the Walla Walla Valley; if you are not familiar with this wine, you should absolutely check it out. Honestly, I just want to keep smelling my glass. Bravo! Only 2,400 bottles were filled."
Anthony Mueller,
Wine Advocate
July 8, 2021 | July 2020 Week 1

Product Line: